Saturday 8 October 2016

On coming up to town

I started writing a post on blogger as I arrived in London yesterday but didn't save it properly and lost it. It wasn't a lot so I will try to re-write the gist of it here. 

I had a funny sensation as the train pulled in to Paddington yesterday evening for karaoke with the girls. I realised that I couldn't remember the last time I had been to London - other than Heathrow, Gatwick or edges of Kent and Middx. It could well have been when I met the girls for dinner in August 2015 before we headed away. 

It definitely felt more monumental then I was expecting as we came in to the station. My sense of occasion was added to by following a passenger off the train who had a traveller backpack. I started to see it through the traveller' eyes that I had worn last year. I also saw quite a lot of people taking photos on their phones in the station that made me smile somewhat. 

I definitely felt like I was 'coming up to London'. I'm not a local and I sort of feel saddened that I don't have that at home and in control feeling that I had as a commuter after I left school. I did enjoy the sensation of knowing the shortcuts and best places to stand on the platform to be at the right exit. I'm also rather disappointed that I don't have the romantic feeling of coming up to town from somewhere like St Mary Mead!! 

I continued to have mixed feelings about London as I was meandering around. I arrived in Oxford Circus 55 minutes before our karaoke session so I wandered. I was a bit thrilled to come up and see the Christmas lights up - they weren't switched on but I did enjoy seeing them. I do love the build up to Christmas. I must get on with writing my cards!! 

I wandered down Carnaby Street. I don't really like it sadly. The shops are not the sort of places where I would buy anything. It was all very shiny and glam and prosperous looking. Although I would much rather somewhere be prosperous than run down, I still didn't like it. I also walked through Liberty's which I don't know very well. I thought I could like out for somewhere to buy a first birthday present and then I realised I was close to Hamleys so I managed to have fun in there. A lot of noise and plastic but I did buy a fun Peter Rabbit book. 

The big thing I noticed about London was the crowds. I think in the past I have found the crowds part of the charm and mastery challenge of London - sort of like at Disney World. Mustn't London be great if all these people want to be here and won't we feel more virtuous and successful if we can overcome the crowds and enjoy it. This was the first time where I was beginning to feel the crowds were too much and hampering the experience. I'm not going off London and I won't stop coming, I guess it's just that I can see what people mean about it being too busy! 

Karaoke was a super time. After 3 or 4 songs we were away and wearing our wigs and rocking our socks off. Some new hits of last night were 'Truly, Madly, Deeply' and Wannabe. I've just tried looking through the blog and it seems shocking to me that I haven't done a karaoke post before. What?!? I've just started writing about it, but have now decided it needs its own post! So I will leave this London summary here. 

On a side note - I am currently waiting by Platform 8B at Readinf station and the lady next to me is clipping her toe nails and I am pretty disturbed and freaked out by it...!!! At least the train is here now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment