Saturday 23 June 2018

Musical - Hairspray

Well I wasn't expecting to be writing about a trip to the theatre so soon after having Bonnie!  John very kindly bought me a ticket to see Hairspray in Oxford as a treat for looking after our little girl.  This was rather sooner than I would have left Bonnie (nearly 3 months old), but John wanted me to have a good time so I thought I would do my best not to think too much about what might be going on at home and enjoy the show.

I defrosted some milk, having no idea whether Bonnie would drink from a bottle or cup.  I fed her at 6.30 and unusually she fell asleep so I popped her in her bed and set off.  It was funny dressing and thinking that I didn't need a nursing appropriate top and I had to find a handbag to take!  I cycled to the theatre which was the first time in a long time - and sadly my tires were rather flat.

I made it and got to my seat.  The balcony was closed and the circle probably only half full which I felt was rather a disappointment for such a fun show on a Friday night. The show was really good.  I was expecting to enjoy the show as I had seen it twice before and know the music well, but it pleased me more than I expected. There were quite a few songs that I had forgotten about and found myself singing along to (in my head).  I loved the colours, clothes, dance numbers and general spectacle.  You can't stop the beat is still a definite highlight.  I find the story line and politics most interesting, and although the character motives are highly undeveloped I guess that's not the point of a musical.

And amazingly I got home at 10.30 and our little one had slept the whole time!!  What a girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment